|Job title:||Anaesthetic Staff Nurse|
|Contact name:||Matthew Goalen|
Anaesthetic Staff Nurse
Clinical Coordinator Anaesthesia
Overall Purpose of Job We will provide exceptional patient care in an environment where quality, respect, caring and compassion are at the centre of all we do. The post holder works as part of the multi-disciplinary team, establishing and maintaining good working relationships aimed at delivering a high standard of care. She/he is required to develop additional clinical skills pertinent to the specialty. The post holder is responsible for managing the care of patients and the needs of their families, ensuring that quality is maintained. She/he is expected to participate in appropriate education and research requirements.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
- To be accountable and responsible for own actions and know the content of the Scope of Professional Practice, Code of Professional Conduct, policies, guidelines, competencies relevant to practice.
- To provide nursing care to patients by the use of an individual system of care and working with nursing standards that have been agreed.
- To keep the nurse in charge of the unit aware of any relevant changes which occur.
- To develop an understanding of the specialty and following an induction programme, to eventually be able to assist in all relevant procedures.
- To promote and uphold nursing standards by identifying and recommending changes which will enhance the quality of care.
- To interpret the significance of the patient’s clinical observations and record and plan desired changes in care with senior staff.
- To maintain professional confidentiality and ensure that all clinical and legal documents are accurate and legible.
- Monitors all complaints and incidents, inform clinical coordinator of same to enable a full investigation of same.
- Constant evaluation of standards of patient care, and particularly nursing care with the department.
- To maintain supervision of junior nursing staff during each span of duty providing direction and support as necessary.
- To undertake management experience with the support of mentor or clinical coordinator.
- To adhere to hospital policies and maintain effective links with support services and other departments.
- To assist with the development and maintenance of standards of care and quality assurance programmes.
- To maintain a sound working knowledge of emergency policies including cardiac arrest protocol, fire emergency,control of infection policy, static electricity.
Job Description RN – Emergency Department 2
- To accept responsibility for own personal and professional development and be aware of current trends and strategies in nursing.
- To manage the total nursing care of patients competently and be responsible for professional actions.
- To display competent knowledge in nursing practice of specialty.
- To promote and uphold nursing standards and identify changes which will enhance the quality of care.
- To help develop a culture conductive to the establishment and maintenance of good staff morale.
Education and Research
- To promote a learning environment and encourage professional development.
- To follow current developments in nursing which will increase professional knowledge and skills.
- To identify potential areas for nursing research within speciality which will benefit patient care.
- To be aware of own learning needs and ensure that a learning programme is negotiated with mentor.
- To attend appropriate study days/courses that will promote professional development.
- To participate in own performance review with the clinical coordinator.
- To be able to teach and act as a mentor (after appropriate training) to other nursing staff.
- To participate in the revision of Policies, Guidelines and Competencies.
- Be registered or eligible for registration in the Register of Nurses maintained by NMBI.
- 1 year post registration experience.
- 6 months emergency experience is desirable.
Job Specific Competencies and Knowledge
- Able to use own initiative.
- Ability to work as part of the multidisciplinary team.
- Effective communication skills.
- Able to manage busy workload.
- Committed to service.
- Willing to partake in the extended role of the nurse following appropriate training.
- Personal Competencies
- All posts require a high level of flexibility to ensure the delivery of an effective and efficient service. Therefore, the post holder will be required to demonstrate flexibility as and when required by their manager or hospital management.